Monday, September 18, 2006

The Final Straw For the Mail Box


On Friday night we were sitting in the living room and heard a crunching noise, which turned out to be splintering wood and a falling mailbox.

The young son of our neighbor from across the street was being pulled over by the cops and was so nervous that he hit our mailbox with his car mirror as he pulled to the side of the road. The poor kid looked scared to death.

Jake and I went out to look and the cops were checking him out and told him that he had cut them off.

Now I have multiple feelings about this. On the one hand, with the "Backus Street Gang" and other problems we have on the street we live, I'm glad that the police are patroling the area and trying to keep us safe.

On the other hand, I think they pulled him over because he's a young hispanic kid. If it had been me, I doubt I would have been harrassed.

That night however, I felt protective of Andy and went outside to boldly stand next to his older brother who had also come out of their house to see what was going on. We stood watching them to make sure they didn't harrass him too badly.

They even got him out of the car and put his hands behind him at one point. I loudly asked his brother what was going on and admit that I probably oozed irritation, but I couldn't help being a bit upset that they were treating him so badly. I know his family, mother, and father and they are really good people.

Anyway, the mailbox was already falling off, so it's not such a big deal, but we'll need to put it back up soon so that we get our mail. :)

3 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

Maybe that's been the problem before, the police keep pulling people over in front of your house and the mail box is just in the wrong place.

Mel said...

Sounds like it's one thing after another. Bad luck?

Wendy said...

Sorry Pam, but that is kind of funny about the mailbox. I have never heard of one mailbox and fence being so abused. Also, about the kid, that just sounds wrong. He cut the police off so they act like they are going to cuff him??? What is up with that?