Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Lunch With Mom

Today I had lunch with my Mom. She actually came to my work, picked me up, and drove us to Carl's Jr. where we had a very nice lunch. I don't get to see her enough anymore. :( I made sure she knows how to log onto my blog so I'm expecting a comment from her. Hint, hint. Mom showed me Wendy's baby shower invitations and I have to admit I'm quite relieved that she's had time to do those. I've got a ton of stuff going on right now, including a paper due on Friday.

Yes, for some reason, I'm supposed to do a written paper for my Math class. I've decided to make a story about going to an island with some friends and having their bunnies escape. Not very likely, but necessary for the premise of the story. Basically, I've created a formula to figure out how many bunnies will be on the island in a couple of years based on number of baby bunnies and how often babies are born.

Anyone have input on how to make the story more funny or more exciting? I did some research on rabbit reproduction and found out that they probably have about 8 bunnies per litter and could actually have a litter every 2 months. With plenty of food, water, and no predators, we could easily have a huge bunny problem.

My formula turns out to be: two multiplied by six to the n power, with n being the reproductive cycle number, each bunny having 10 bunnies (should be 8, but I did most caluclations before doing the research) per litter, and each baby able to have a litter immediately after (not possible, but much easier to figure out that way) . So the two bunnies turn into 12 bunnies, which turns into 72 bunnies, which turns into 432 bunnies and so on.

By my calculations, there could be 4,353,564,672 bunnies after two years. Now that's a lot of bunnies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a great time at lunch today.
Hope you get to relax this weekend.
I Love You.......
Mom

Wendy said...

I wish I could have lunch with Mom more often. I will be able to have lunch with you this weekend when you come up. Yeah!

About the bunnies, I am very impressed with your mathematical calculations, although... having just passed my biology CSET test I would have to assess the island for its bunny carrying capacity before I would be able to agree with your bunny population statistics.

Sorry I don't have any funny story lines, but I will let you know if I think of any.

Chris Steele said...

Maybe it's like Jurassic Park, and the reason you came to the island was to let the bunnies roam freely, thus escaping some evil bunny persecution. You know, makeup companies are taking over--or maybe you ARE the makeup company, and you're breeding them for research. Or you're selling them to a makeup company to become billionaires. A bit pessimistic, but it could work.

Pam said...

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe I can work that into the story. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»