Thursday, May 03, 2007

WLAC Incident

Last week, there was a strange incident at West Los Angeles Community College. A student signed in to talk to a counselor and when I called her name she let me know that she didn't need any counseling but was trying to get away from a guy who had been following her since she arrived on campus. She had completed everything that she needed to do and wanted to go home, but he was still following her, talking to her and touching her. She was scared that he was going to do something bad to her and even started crying. Poor thing!

I ended up taking her out of the back of the building and walked her to her car. On the way there we saw the guy and had to detour to stay away from him. I finished walking her to her car and waited until she'd driven away. I then kept a very close eye out to make sure he didn't come back to me mad that I'd gotten her away from him.

When I got back to the office I called the police to let them know but they said they couldn't do anything since nothing had really happened.

What's interesting is that the next day I got an e-mail at Cal Poly that was sent to the entire campus saying that if we see anybody suspicious or who doesn't belong or is doing anything odd, let them know immediately. I think this came about because of the Virginia shootings. But what a difference between WLAC and Cal Poly. Kind of interesting.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

It is so crazy that something acutally has to happen before they do anything. So idiodic.

Hart's Haven said...

That is rediculous! I would have called campus security anyway and had them detain and question the man. Obviously this should be on record and he should have been identified.

Pam said...

Our campus security are the police that I was talking about.

Mel said...

Wow. That's scary. I remember when I went to my undergrad they would walk us or shuttle us to our cars because we had a bunch of rapes on campus. At least she did the right thing and found help.