Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Veteran's Day

On Friday, Alex asked Jake to come to his school for a Veteran's Day event. The kids sang a song and basically thanked the veterans for everything they did/do for our country. It was actually very cute and touching.

They gave every verteran (I think there were about 60) a chance to introduce themselves and to say what they did or currently do in the US Armed Forces. It was really interesting to hear everyone talk. There were lots of different areas represented: Marines, Air Force, Army, Navy... and also many different jobs: Missle Defense, Pilot, Scout, Cook... and many different wars: Desert Storm, Iraq, Vietnam, World War II (yes, that person was very old)...

Some of the verterans said they had never before been thanked in an event like that and that they appreciated what the school was doing. Some even got a little emotional. It was kind of a cathartic type of experience and I was glad I got to attend.


This is a picture of the stands where people were sitting.


This is a picture of one guy talking (I remember that he was a cook and everyone kind of laughed. Later, a guy who had been a Baker picked on him about people liking the baked goods much better than the regular food served by the cooks. :) You can see Jake behind him.


And this is a picture of some of the Veteran's on stage.

2 comments:

Mel said...

That's cool. More people should thank those that have served our country. I think that's a great thing!!

Wendy said...

That is neat. I don't think that I think enough about the people that have made me safe in my country. I believe I would have enjoyed the experience.