Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Seven's Presents - Rats

Two days ago, Seven left me a nice present - a very dead rat by my car. Yesterday, she left me another present, a live rat by my car. The poor thing had been punctured and I'm sure played with, and couldn't walk away, but was still alive. So I put them both in a trash can and left.

Now here's the problem, I couldn't stop thinking about this live animal stuck in a trash can with it's dead friend. It's probably in pain, but I'm not sure how long it will continue to live. I thought about trying to kill it, but I don't think I could. It gives me a sick feeling. In fact, I thick the rat gave me a pleading "help me" look when I picked it up to throw it away.

So here I am today, assigning the animal human feelings, thinking of it suffering while lying next to his buddy, although I admit to placing them as far apart as possible in the trashcan just so he wouldn't be too freaked out.

So should I check on him tonight and try to kill him if it's still alive, or should I let nature run it's course and wait for him to die naturally? This whole thing really bothered me.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

i don't know how, but i vote for putting it out of its misery. at the pet store dave worked at they'd put dying animals in the freezer and that was considered the humane way of dealing with them.

Mel said...

Animalcicles? That's gross. How is that humane?

As for you, Rat killer...I don't know that to do with your situation. I would try to save the poor dying rat's life...but again I assign human feelings to animal's too.

Wendy said...

I agree with putting it out of its misery. I think Sara's idea is really good. I have heard that dying from the cold is like just falling asleep so you don't really feel anything. I vote for the freezer.