Monday, August 14, 2006

Twin Test

I just purchased a twin zygosity test. Wendy and I were told at birth that we are fraternal twins, but over the course of our lives, we have had many people look at us and say that they think we look too much alike to be fraternal. I have a few friends that insist that we must be identical. So, after 30 years I've decided to finally find out for certain.

For those who might not know, fraternal twins come from two separate eggs and two separate sperm. Fraternal twins are supposed to look as much alike as any two sisters or brothers. Identical twins on the other hand come from the same egg and sperm, which once fertalized, splits in two. Identical twins are supposed to look very much the same.

So it seems to me that we are likely two fraternal twins who happen to look more like each other than the usual set of twins. But there is also the possibility that the doctor was mistaken and we are actually identical, and some might say, look less alike than you might expect from identical twins.

And so I anxiously await the next time we see each other, so that I can swab Wendy's cheek and lay the controversy to rest. I have to admit I'm hoping that we will be told that we were given incorrect information and that we are actually identical twins. I'll let everyone know as soon as we find out.

8 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! When you were born there was only one placenta which had two umbilical cords coming out of it. Of course this was packaged and was sent to the lab to be tested. I was told upon my next visit that you were fraternal twins and that the lab results showed a membrane separating the placenta into two attached but individual placentas. I have always wondered but being your Mom have seen differences between you that seemed to confirm the findings. It will be nice to know the truth.
Love you.......

Chris Steele said...

That is neat--I'm interested to find out, too.

Wendy said...

It will be fun to do the test. I am excited to do the mouth swab. One step closer to CSI. : )

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lonnie said...

I think you guys look a bit different and your voices are different. I think you would share the same birth marks too. Wouldn't you?

Pam said...

I don't think we would share birth marks. That's an interesting question.

Wendy said...

Interesting Cliff. I didn't know about some of that information. I thought that identical twins would express the same genes in utero and that environmental factors mainly controlled if they looked different. I have always thought we were fraternal but maybe we will turn out to be identical.

Mel said...

I still remember when I first met you guys. I couldn't tell you apart. I remember, I came home one day and Pam was in the room with Jeff and they pretended to kiss and be caught by me. They acted so strange. It wasn't until years later that Pam made the comment to me. I'd never gotten the joke because the whole time I thought I had walked in on Jeff kissing Wendy. I thought "Big deal, so I saw you kiss...you're married. People DO that when they're married". I will be axiously waiting for the test results. We should document the mouth swab so it is official.