Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Bike Ride

Yesterday I went on a very interesting bike ride. It would have been a good ride, except that when I got back to the car, I realized that I had dropped my vehicle key/alarm.

About a quarter of the way into the ride, Jake needed to adjust his seat, so I opened my pouch to give him some tools. He decided to keep the tools in his pouch and I forgot to zip mine up again. I don't even want to think about how much it's going to cost for a replacement. Thank goodness Jake had a spare key for my car. We had taken two separate cars and he had my spare in his car (we had both taken our own keys). It was actually a lucky situation; we could have had only one car with a missing key, or we could have locked his key in my car before riding and ended up with no way to open the vehicles. Either way though, it was still annoying.

But on the upside, I got within 5 feet of a coyote before it slunk into the bushes as we rode by. It was amazing that it wasn't really afraid and didn't seem to care about us. It seemed more like a dog, but it was very cool to get so close - at least until I thought about it's pack coming after us in mass.

Also, we saw a fantastic tarantula on the trail. When we stopped to rest we saw him walking along. He was probably about 7 inches long and was absolutely beautiful, walking slowly along while we observed within inches of his fuzzy body. I think I'll start bringing my phone with me so that I can take pictures next time. Of course, I'll have to be very careful not to drop it like I did with my key. :(

4 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

What a great bike ride! Where are you going? It would be so cool to see a trantula up close like that I would love to watch him walk. As for the coyote, I don't like them and I certainly don't let them get that close. Up here they come through our yard almost every day on their way down to the creek that flows into the trout pond. Sometimes I see them come back with a dead squirrel in their mouths. When Caiden was here I had to be really careful when we went for walks because the coyotes don't always run away and aren't afraid. But I was actually very cautious with such a small child. They are wild animals and hunt to eat.

Chris Steele said...

Ouch--I don't want to think about the price of the car door opener thing, either. When we had our Mini Cooper, replacements were about $450 because of all of the darn fancy equipment that was inside (which I was normally thankful for).
Cool about the coyote, and cool for you to see the tarantula (I'm not jealous of that). I know it sounds silly, but I've never really thought about tarantulas being "wild"--I'd never want to see one just turn up in my house.

Wendy said...

What a cool ride. Except the key thing of course. I remember going with you a long time back on a ride and seeing a taranchula as we rode by. It was cool. Before you pay for the key you should plan another ride and look for it. It would probably be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but you never know.

Pam said...

Ya, we're going to go back this weekend. It turns out that the key costs $250. It's worth looking a little bit.