Thursday, June 19, 2008

Doctor Appointment

When Dean was born his foot seemed a bit crooked so we made an appointment for him to see an orthopedic doctor.

This last week we've also noticed that he doesn't really turn his head to his left. I planned to make another appointment with his pediatrician.

At his orthopedic appointment today the doctor said his foot seemed just fine. We should exercise it regularly to make sure it has full range of motion, but this is very common for babies that were a bit squished in the uterus.

He then asked if he was having any trouble turning his head - weird! I asked how he knew and he said they are related when a baby is squished. He checked out Dean's neck and said we need to start making him work to turn his head the other way. We are going to put him the opposite way in his crib and talk to him from the other side so he has to stretch to see what is happening on his bad side. The doctor thought he might actually need a bit of physical therapy, or at least have us get some training on how to gently turn his head to work on stretching his neck muscles. I'm hoping his neck will be fine after awhile for him to get things worked out. Poor little Dean must have been really smashed. We joke about how he didn't want to come out of me, but maybe he was just stuck/wedged in there and couldn't get out. :)

Anyway, things seem good so far. Looks like it's time to do some neck exercises.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

that's good that it should work it self out!

Wendy said...

Poor Dean. You were always saying that he was pushing and pushing. He must have been really squished. I am glad that it looks like he will be fine. The crib idea I think will be good to make him work to see what is going on on the "bad" side.

Chris Steele said...

Good idea. The occupational therapist that had to see me before I was discharged said something about changing the head of the bed periodically to avoid a flat spot, and I never would have thought about it. I hope it all works out!

Mel said...

Smart idea to get it checked out...if not just for peace of mind. I am sure everything will work out just fine.

Brixie said...

My nephew had a similar problem and my sister-in-law was taught how to do some simple stretches. He was fine within a couple of months and is now a VERY ACTIVE seven year old! Hang in there Dean! You'll be looking ALL around very, very soon!

Hart's Haven said...

He is doing great........
Don't worry he is just perfect!