Thursday, May 29, 2008

Diaper Changing

Before Dean came along I think I only changed one diaper in my entire life. And for the first few days of Dean's life, Jake was on diaper duty while I was recovering. But eventually it was time for me to learn and I've found that it's true that my own baby's diaper changes are much different than changing someone else's baby. I know this is true because I wasn't too grossed out by the following events:

For Dean's first diaper that I changed, Jake went in with me to instruct and explain what I should be doing. Dean peed on me in the middle of the diaper change and Jake was shocked and said he'd never done that to him before. He also assured me that this was not the norm.

The second diaper change he peed on me again. Jake assured me that this is not the norm. Uh huh.

The third diaper change he pooped when I put down the new diaper. Jake assured me that this doesn't happen often.

The fourth and fifth I came away unscathed. I'm getting comfortable and thinking that maybe the previous instances really are odd.

The next time Jake wasn't home when this happened. I went to change Dean's diaper which was only pee and as I lifted his legs to put the new diaper down, he let loose with a bowel movement. I don't even know how to explain what happened. Poop went shooting out of his bum, flying across the room splattering everything in it's path. I swear the wall five feet away was hit with runny poo. I put his bottom down as quickly as possible and A LOT more came out. Needless to say, runny poo was on everything. Next I tried to move Dean so that poo didn't get all over him and he started to pee which went the opposite way than his poo had. It got on my sweater as well as everything that he hadn't been able to get his poo on.

Jake now firmly believes that Dean knows it's me and will do this again. He had me wake him up tonight to change Dean before I fed him because he didn't want any messes in the middle of the night. So far Jake has not been peed or pooed on even once. Dean has been saving these special gifts just for me. :)

10 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh my gosh, that is hysterical! The boy peeing thing is totaly normal. You have to keep it always covered up so he won't get you.

Sarah said...

that is too funny! i was laughing out loud over here.

happened to me too - but not as dramatically!! i used to go through three or four diapers every time i tried to change one. it stops after a couple weeks.

:)

Chris Steele said...

Oh my word! I mean, I've heard of all of those things happening, but never right in a row!! I've been lucky enough to escape the volcanic poop (knock on wood), but my friends have stories to tell. And I'm sorry to admit that I laughed out loud, too.

Hart's Haven said...

You have truly been initiated as a new parent, as far as Jake goes, it is still yet to come!
Great story............

Pam said...

mom - jake mentioned how much he appreciates the gloss paint after this incident.

Brixie said...

Too funny Pam! I love it! Brixie Lee got Don and I over and over and over again with those EXPLOSIVE poos. I hate to say this, but it didn't stop until we started her on solids at 5 months. The only trick that worked for us 50% of the time was this... 1) undo the diaper, but DON'T pull it down, just let cool air in, 2) pump the legs a bit and do your normal moves of picking up the legs, but DON'T pull that diaper down yet, 3) put your clean diaper under the dirty diaper so it's in place when you're ready, 4) clean up the hinny and package, and 5) very quickly pull out the dirty diaper and pull up the new diaper in one quick step. Maybe that will save you a couple of times. Maybe not! But hey, it's a good laugh and this too shall pass.

Hugs,
Brix

Mel said...

Like everyone before me said...You had me laughing SO hard that I felt stupid (everyone else is asleep and I am procrastinating doing my workout program). This has happened to me too, but you phrased it SO well.

I love Brixie's instructions too. It's so funny the things you think you won't say until you become a parent. :)

Gaby Torres said...

Pam first off, congrats... i still cant believe you have a baby :)

2nd this is nothing compared to the times they do it in the bath! it only gets better.

Brixie said...

I left that part out Gaby! Brixie Lee's first bath was the first of the 3 times she poo'd in the bath. So sad! Be ready for that Pam!

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh. Too funny. Micah only peed on me about 3 times and I can't even remember him pooping on me in the middle of a change but maybe I am blocking it out... no poop explosions for sure. You have a rare touch Pam. By the way, sorry I have been such a slacker on looking at your blog. I am going to try to be better especially since I now have Dean pics and stories to look forward too.