Thursday, October 11, 2007

Laid Off

Well, they finally did it. West Los Angeles College has not been giving hours to part time counselors. The new important person in charge at the school has decided that she doesn't want any part time counselors working. I'm not sure if this will be forever or if we might get a few hours during the busy times, but any way you look at it, it sucks for me. What's especially unfortunate is that I think she went about this badly. Ideally, she should still have a few part time people working for a few hours a week so that we retain some of our knowledge. Instead, if we are able to get some hours in a few months, we're all going to be straining to remember certain things. Of course, there might also be changes during that time that we know nothing about. How frustrating.

I suppose I understand that they're trying to save money, but for me, I'm losing money by not working. I guess that I should try to use this time wisely and enjoy the fact that I'm not driving to West LA two times a week. I think I'm going to save about $100 in gas by not making the drive.

So there is my sad story. I delayed blogging about it for a few weeks because I was hoping that they might have us come back, but so far no luck. :(

6 comments:

Sarah said...

what a bummer! sorry to hear that.

Joanne said...

That stinks, I'm sorry.

Hart's Haven said...

To bad about the lay off. At least you have known it might be coming. Just enjoy being pregnant and having some extra time when you will need it as your life changes.

Chris Steele said...

That sucks. I agree with your mom--use the time for naps. Or, I guess, part-time job hunting.

Wendy said...

That is too bad. Lots of studying and naps in your future.

Mel said...

I'm sorry. :( That's never an easy thing.