Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dean Update

Dean is getting bigger every day. At some point I stopped picking out his smallest clothes for him to wear because I assumed they wouldn't fit. I didn't say anything to Jake and last week he put Dean in one of the onsies and it was ridiculously small. He came out to show me and then went back to change his outfit. So last week I went through Dean's dresser and pulled out about 10 things that don't fit anymore. It's kind of sad to see how much he's changed, but at the same time there is a lot of good things to go along with how much bigger he's getting.

Yesterday Dean also got his first hair cut. Actually, Jake cut his hair. Dean had a mullet going on with long hair at the back of his neck. It seemed like it kept getting pulled when we held him or changed his clothes, so Jake decided it was time to cut it. It was so sad to watch his hair go - I actually thought about keeping a lock of it. I decided against keeping the hair, but I will definitely keep one of the onesies that we had to put in the too small pile. I'll keep the "Dean Jacob" shirt that Wendy made me since no one else would probably wear it anyway with Dean's name on it.

Dean has also begun to smile somewhat often. It's very rewarding to entertain him when I see him smiling back at me. He's definitely not at Kiya levels of smiling, but I hope he will be someday. :) He's been so much more aware of the things going on around him. It's getting interesting to interact with him.

On the subject of his neck turning, he's looking to the left about an inch further than before, but we're still trying to get his appointment with the physical therapist. It's been impossible to work with the doctor's offices. They're slow and don't always call back when I leave a message. I think we're going to change our pediatrician because of our bad experience with that office. Dean has started to get a noticeable flat spot on the back of his head because he ALWAYS sleeps on the side that he can look toward. I really don't want him to have a flat head on one side so Jake and I have put him to sleep on his stomach the last three nights. I know that we've been told to always have babies sleep on their backs, but for years and years and years, it was the other way around (including for most of us) and we are all alive and well, so I'm not too worried. It's hard to know which is worse since I haven't been able to talk to Dean's doctor - a flat head or sleeping on his stomach?

6 comments:

Brixie said...

It's so shocking how fast they grow out of their baby clothes. You're growing so fast Dean!

As for the sleeping on his stomach, I agree with you. BL has slept on her stomach from the day she started rolling over. One product that a friend of mine loved was the Babysense V - Infant Movement Monitor (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2660328). It just gave her some peace of mind. But there's no use in spending $120 dollars if you're not worried!!!!! She said it went off once, but she thinks it was probably because her son rolled off the monitor.

Mel said...

Babies DO change to fast. I felt the same way with both my kids. I was excited to see them grow, and sad to see them change so quickly. It seems like you blink and they are doing all sorts of new things.

I can't wait to see him again and see how big he has become :)

Hart's Haven said...

It's so funny to hear all of you talk about your kids growing so fast. It doesn't change I am still amazed at how much we all change as the years go by.
LIFE IS GOOD!

Sarah said...

yeah, zai was on his belly as soon as he could roll too.

is dean rolling?

Pam said...

Nope, not rolling yet. I can't even imagine him doing that anytime soon. I'll have to look at when babies start to roll.

Wendy said...

Ha, Micah rolled over the first time at 5 months. I hear stories though of babies rolling really early. As for the head thing, I might agree with you. Micah has a little bit of a flat head on one side and it never went away although it did get a little better. You don't really want your kid for the rest of his life having a flat spot on one side.

I can't wait to see Dean next weekend again. They do change so fast. I still remember getting rid of some Micah clothes for the first time. Sigh. I also can't wait to see Dean smile.