Sunday, April 20, 2008

Target's Policy Sucks - Warning Not to Register There

I just had my first opportunity to return some of the gifts that Jake and I found that we didn't need from the baby shower. There are always a few people who forget to tell the people at the cash register to take the gifts off of the registry, and there were some items that Jake and I realized that we really don't need since we got so many from other places.

Jake and I registered at Target because I've always loved them and I thought it would be very easy. I've heard a few bad stories about Babies R Us being difficult to deal with. Up until now, I've never known a bad thing about Target, however, after yesterday I'm ready to boycott.

For presents that were bought outside of Target, most we had to either keep, or donate if we didn't want them. Which kind of stinks, but what else are you going to do? But for the presents I knew came from Target, I thought, there will be no problems with returns - YA RIGHT!

We went to return our Target extras and were told that new store policy since August is that you can do a return for up to $20 twice a year (without a receipt). So what this means is that I could only return a couple of items (up to $20) for one return, and then another return (up to $20), and that's it - I could only return about $40 worth of stuff. Luckily, Jake was with me, so we were able to return up to $80 with both of us combined.

So today I called my mom who was able to return another $40 for us, and now I need to go with one more person who will be able to return the rest of the items for me. How much of a pain in the butt is that?!!!

All of this is extremely annoying, but at least I could complete these returns by getting around their horrible system. But there was one item I was given for $70 that we can't return at all. Two days before the shower a friend of ours gave us a used high chair, so I would like to exchange this item for something else, but I can't. I talked to the return counter, talked to their supervisor, talked to customer service for Target by phone, and talked to the gift registery by phone. I asked to talk to their supervisor and the person said they were a supervisor and there is no one in the entire Target company that can help me. How horrible is that?!!!

Now, I know that I could call my Uncle who purchased the chair for me to see if I can get a receipt, but that seems so tacky after he spent such a generous amount of money on me. So I guess we'll just keep it and get rid of the used one. It just really sucks. I suppose that I'm extremely lucky that that was the only item I had over $20 that I wanted to return.

Another thing that sucks is that I've made no effort to keep any gift receipts (although I really only got a few anyway) because I didn't think I'd have this problem. But there was one item - a car seat - that was sent to us by mail from one of Jake's friends. We registered for two since we have two cars, and I thought I'd just take one back later if it turned out we didn't need it. I didn't keep the gift receipt that must have come with the package a few weeks ago because I didn't think I'd need it. I just assumed that I would exchange it for Target merchandise since we ALWAYS shop at Target. Well not anymore! I don't know if I'll be able to completely boycott since they're my favorite store, but I will definitely get the word out that they are not a good store for a baby registery. What a horrible experience.

Lastly, when I went to Target today with my mom, they told us that soon they won't let anyone return anything without a receipt (rather than the 2 times for under $20 rule). Can you believe it? How could you ask all of your baby shower guests for a gift receipt just in case? You can't! How tacky would that be. So my final thought is.... Don't register at Target!!!!! You could end up regretting it. Maybe Babies R Us is the way to go?

I'm thinking about typing up a paragraph and posting reviews to the target site under their baby items to warn people. I wonder if I'll be able to keep my anger long enough to do that. Probably not, but I want to.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

yeah target returns suck. our target told me i could return one thing a year without a receipt. i guess they have a lot of trouble with theft. but it sucks cause target is such an easy place that everyone knows and is easy to shop at. suck sucks.

Wendy said...

That is so aweful. I feel so bad that I encouraged you to register there. Sorry. : (

Sven said...

I found returning stuff at Babies R Us to be very easy, assuming you don't mind a gift card in lieu of cash.

Joanne said...

I will always get gift cards or make sure I get a gift receipt when I purchase anything at Target.

Mel said...

Yea, it does stink. It was a new policy that Target put into effect in the new year, but I think they were practicing before that because I bought a dvd player from them that stopped working. They refused to return it. Eventually they returned it, but I had to talk to the store manager.

Babies r us was very easy for us. We bought a $160 car seat for Kiya, but then we ended up buying Caiden a booster seat that was $40 a Target (it only cost us $20 because I returned a recalled product - they have to take back recalled products). Babies r us actually took back the $160 car seat. I had a receipt, but the purchase was made 3 months before that. They have always been very good.

Not sure why Target is getting WORSE on customer satisfaction. You'd think they would strive to be less of a hassle and more customer focused. Hmm...guess not.