Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Day Off

On Tuesday I took a day off from work to get some stuff done.

First, I went to have my passport taken care of since there is a possibility that we might be going to Singapore this summer. It ended up costing about $200! Thank goodness I only need to do that every 10 years. Jake and I want to go to Hawaii and Canada as well this summer, but it sounds expensive to go running around the world for three weeks, so I'm not positive we'll be able to afford all three places. I do know that I will be going to Hawaii for at least a few days for a conference. And for those of you who might be thinking about our last trip to Hawaii, yes, that also was for a conference. And yes, I have also gone to Florida and Canada on conferences. Now everyone is going to think my job is easy with vacation/conferences galore. I guess it's not a bad deal when I think about it.

The second thing I did yesterday was go to the assessor to get a floor plan for our property. The icky inspector who I had mentioned in a previous blog has struck again. By the way, his name is Richard - very appropriate if you think of the nickname. Anyway, he made a comment in our records which reads "Bootlegged house behind main house built 2005 - no permits". Now, the thing is, our property is and has always been a duplex. It's on all the records everywhere (inspectors office and assessor). It's even in their own office. So now I have to go back to Richard's office with the plans for the second house that date back to the 1950s and try to get this taken care of. I might just have to kill somebody.

The third thing I did was go on a bike ride. I was rather proud of myself that I went out by myself and went. It took some motivation. Mom and Wendy will probably remember that black top trail in the foothills that we used to visit with the stream by the trail. It was just as nice as I remembered, and although not challenging (which is good since I was by myself and wouldn't want to be hurt in the wilderness with no one around and a cell phone out of service range), it was still good exercise and felt good.

Lastly, we went to see the movie 300 in an IMAX theater. It was good, and I'm glad that we went. For some reason the goriness didn't bother me very much and it wasn't scary either, but it had a neat look to it.

So that was my day off. We don't have students this week since we are in between quarters, so I feel like I've been on vacation. It feels good.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Sounds like a lot of good stuff (and a little bad) going on. To bad about Dick Head, I mean Richard. If you need some back up I can drive down after Mom and Jim visit. We can take him. : )

I am so jealous that you are going to Singapore again. I have always wanted to go to an Asian country. Are you staying with Cameron's dad again?

I do remember that bike trail. It is nice and I am glad not dangerous so that you did not have much chance of getting hurt.

As for the movie 300, when I saw the preview I thought it didn't look too good, but a LOT of people have been saying it was really good so maybe I will have to go.

Enjoy your break at work. I need to plan to come down pretty soon. I miss you.

Hart's Haven said...

Sounds like you got alot accomplished on your day off. I'm jealous about going on the bike ride, I remember it was a really fun one, not hard at all. About the inspector, next time you see him ask him if his last name is Holder. Sounds too stupid to get it. Hope you get to go to Singapore again. Really had fun seeing you this weekend. I needed to be with you kids.
Love Mom

Mel said...

Wow. Sounds like you need a vacation from your day off. I was exhausted just reading it. :)