Monday, February 12, 2007

Las Vegas and the 80s Party

Last weekend we went to Las Vegas for Diane's brother-in-laws 40th Birthday. We had a great, relaxing time. When we got there someone mentioned what they were wearing to the party that night and I belatedly remembered that it was supposed to be an 80s party and that we were supposed to wear 80s clothing and hair styles, so I ran to the store and bought an outfit at ROSS. It wasn't the best look, and I really wish I'd had more time because it was so fun trying to figure out what to wear. I ended up with a jean skirt, white lace stockings, an off the shoulder shirt with sequins, big earrings, and crimped, heavily hair sprayed hair. It sounds better when I'm typing it than what I actually ended up looking like. So of course I didn't end up getting a picture but will post one when I can borrow one from someone else.

Diane's sister bought lots of 80s candy also, and Boones Farm alcohol (typical alcohol drink of young people at that time). She had dip sticks - remember using the white stick, licking it and dipping in the powder that would then stick to the stick? She had pop rocks, candy cigarettes, and those wax bottles with a bit of Koolade type liquid inside. She also had those papers that have the candies stuck to them - some pink, yellow, and blue that you peel off to eat. It really brought back some memories. And of course the music was 80s all night long. Good times.

So that was my great weekend, and next weekend we're going up to San Jose. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Hart's Haven said...

I'm soooo jealous, wish I could be going to San Jose also.

Wendy said...

That does sound like fun. It sounds like another life entirely. Hard to believe the 80's was like 20 years ago. Where in the world did she get the candy dots. I haven't seen those since the 80's. Do you remember some kid at Calvary Chapel Christian school had a dad who worked there and so they always had the dots. I remember they were stingy about sharing. Anyway, I definitely want to see picutures.

I can't wait to see you next weekend.

Ashley said...

it sounds like a lot of fun and even though i wasn't around for much of the 80's i can remember some of the candy you were talking about! hehhehehe well i take it was a awesome birthday party...hehehheeh well that's kool!

Mel said...

You mean Dip Stiks aren't cool anymore? I must have missed the memo. Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I can't wait to see you with crimped hair. Make it a good picture :) no pressure.