Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Will I Be a Teacher in Fall 2008?

Up until this point I haven't really talked about my possible change of career because I wasn't certain if it was really a possibility, but I just found out that I passed my third test required to teach science and I feel safe talking about teaching since it's a real possibility.

I've been thinking for a long time about what I could do for a career change. I was promoted into a higher level position about a year ago and have discovered that I really don't like it. I don't have enough direction and I don't really like what I'm doing. The only students I work with are probation/disqualification students, and it can quickly become depressing seeing only failing students.

I considered looking for another position in my field, but with a baby on the way I didn't like the idea of working all day and coming home at 6pm. It's not even light outside anymore at that time.

I started think about teaching like Wendy has been doing and realized it really wouldn't be a bad deal - off before 3pm every day, summers off, and it turns out that I'd make more money than I do currently! Of course, I'm sure there is bad to go along with it, and I might regret even trying this, but I'm going to see if teaching is for me.

So I took and passed my tests, I'm just starting my credential classes, and there is only one other catch that I've got to try to work through. I've got to see if I can be hired next year as a teacher without actually having a credential. I'd have to be hired into an intern position. This is the last real barrier to me changing my career.

So wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Gee, after reading your post I am feeling like I don't do anything at all. Off at 3:00pm every day, summers off. I feel like a total lazy bum.

Joanne said...

Can't you get an emergency credential if you past the CBEST or whatever they call that test now?

Pam said...

I think I get paid a lot more as an intern than I would with an emergency credential - although I'm not positive about this. I've talked with a few people and this seems to be the route for me if I want to use my teaching experience to satisfy my credential requirements - which is probably why it's called an internship.

Mel said...

There are plenty of positions that hire you as a teacher and then they require that you get your certification by a certain date. At least that was the case when I was teaching.

I think you will be a great teacher :)

Hart's Haven said...

That is awesome!!!!! It will be a great career with a family.