Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Assisted Suicide

Let's say that you are in extreme pain and agony. Life has become torture and all you can think about every waking moment is putting an end to all. Then the government steps in and says you can't help yourself to die early. We want you to extend your pain and suffering as long as possible. And no one better help you to die early, to help end your suffering, or we'll put them in jail.

I think Oregon sets a good example on how this could be handled. Here are the requirements to participate in their Death with dignity act. "The patient must meet certain criteria to be able to request to participate in the Act. Then, the following steps must be fulfilled: 1) the patient must make two oral requests to the attending physician, separated by at least 15 days; 2) the patient must provide a written request to the attending physician, signed in the presence of two witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient; 3) the attending physician and a consulting physician must confirm the patient's diagnosis and prognosis; 4) the attending physician and a consulting physician must determine whether the patient is capable of making and communicating health care decisions for him/herself; 5) if either physician believes the patient's judgment is impaired by a psychiatric or psychological disorder (such as depression), the patient must be referred for a psychological examination; 6) the attending physician must inform the patient of feasible alternatives to the Act including comfort care, hospice care, and pain control; 7) the attending physician must request, but may not require, the patient to notify their next-of-kin of the prescription request. A patient can rescind a request at any time and in any manner. The attending physician will also offer the patient an opportunity to rescind his/her request at the end of the 15-day waiting period following the initial request to participate."

Also, they must meet these criteria, "The law states that, in order to participate, a patient must be: 1) 18 years of age or older, 2) a resident of Oregon, 3) capable of making and communicating health care decisions for him/herself, and 4) diagnosed with a terminal illness that will lead to death within six (6) months. It is up to the attending physician to determine whether these criteria have been met."

This isn't a new issue, but one that I was reminded of lately. Oregon obviously has this well thought out and it's a solid way to make sure people are of sound mind and have made a choice that they really believe in. What I don't understand is why people would force their own beliefs on someone else. A person doesn't have to think that it's something they would do themselves, but why stand in the way of someone who wants to end their suffering? I just don't get it.

5 comments:

Mel said...

Wow...NOT the blog entry that I thought I would see at this time of the year. I see your point though. It's such a tough call...if it were someone I knew that was suffering. It would be hard to tell them they MUST continue to suffer. Hmm...something to think about.

Wendy said...

I agree that assisted suicide seems to make sense. But about the 6 month rule, I don't get that. So if you are going to live for years and years in pain then it doesn't wok. I would think that if you have to live longer in pain then it would make more sense to have assisted suiced. I wonder why they put on the time limit.

Chris Steele said...

I agree with Wendy--that does seem strange. I'm reminded of that Metallica song "One," which continually freaks me out--the poor guy had been begging to be killed for so long! It's just such an irreversible procedure--makes me nervous...but I guess you have to consider the quality of life, like that woman whose feeding tube they finally removed in Florida last year.

Sarah said...

alrighty - i'm trying this again. (if a bunch of previous comment attempts show up will you delete them?)

I personally don't understand why suicide is illegal in the first place. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I for sure don't understand why you can't in cases of terminal painful illnesses.
I even don't get why police fight to keep people alive so they can be put in jail or even killed later on death row. Makes no sense to me. maybe it would be a mistake (and a very permanent one as Chris pointed out) but why should it be against the law?

Hart's Haven said...

I did a research paper on assisted suicide in college, boy was it interesting all the legal aspects and the possibility of abuse. I strongly believe it should be legal but understand how legally this is a very scary subject. And I believe that biblically God has a purpose for all that happens to us even suffering maybe we can't judge when our life is complete.
Oh and by the way suicide is really only illegal if you fail. So I guess you are really being punished for stupidity.